Re: Spitfire Auto Cad Drawings

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire Auto Cad Drawings
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2000 10:13:41 -0700
My interest was piqued by the current thread about AutoCad drawings for
engine swaps.  I currently don't use AutoCad, but I do use Pro-E (release
2000i) which is another high-end 3-D solid modeling program, and the files
can be converted to all popular formats used in soled modeling.  I decided,
just for grins, to do a rough model of the Spitfire frame (MK 4 but all of
them are basically the same)  It probably won't have the bonnet hinge
mounting brackets and may not have the bridge at the back (although I'm
working on how I'm going to do that) and while it won't be exacting since I
don't have access to the factory drawings it will probably be accurate to
within 1/4 inch or so.  All the body mounting holes will be correct though
as I am using the frame dimensions that are in the factory service manual
for the GT6.  However, some of the dimensions will have to be taken from my
own frame, and some will have to be estimated as I have no access to a bare
frame and even if I did, the curves would be almost impossible to determine
and will be guess-t-mated.  It would be good enough for an engine swap
analysis though - If there is any interest, let me know and judging by the
response I'll see what becomes of it.  The file size is currently running
about 3 megs, and for those of you in the know, this is not an assembly of
components (as it would be if it were a production part) but rather one
entire model at this stage.  I have everything almost modeled, except for
the rear bridge, and, if I do that it will probably have to be a separate
assembly because of the complexity -
Anyway if anybody has any engine drawings in cad format I'd love to share -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)