Powder coating prep -

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Powder coating prep -
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:18:37 -0700
To those of you that have powder coated parts (and you know who you are),
as far as the surface prep goes, how "clean" does the surface actually have
to be.  I have just completed a new frame for the Perma Cool electric fan
that will be installed on the new aluminum radiator assy, hopefully in time
for Triumphest, and although it's completely de-greased and entirely bare
metal, there is the characteristic blackened areas from brazing on the
required brackets, that unless I sandblast (which is not as easy for me to
do as it used to be) won't be removed entirely.  I can sand most of it
down, which I already have, but will the remaining blacked areas affect the
adhesion?  If so then I'll be forced to use conventional engine enamel :-(
which will work fine, but won't be as durable -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)