Re: Spitfire sprint

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spitfire sprint
From: Barry Schwartz <bschwart@pacbell.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 2000 08:11:12 -0700
>I bought a spitfire restoration manual the other day and it said that you
>could put a dolomite sprint engine into a Spitfire.  Has anyone done
>this?  Is it easy to do?
********************************
Well, you can put almost any engine in just about any car as witnessed by
the 460 cubic inch V8 engine stuffed in a Spitfire as shown at British car
day in San Diego a couple of weeks ago.  However, I believe that British
Lelyand's R and D department, very early in the Spitfire production run was
entertaining options of stuffing various other engines in their new little
sports car.  They tried a variant of the soon to be TR7 engine, which is
similar to the Sprint engine (minus one of the over head cams if I'm not
mistaken) and found it too tall, too much of a carve up, and too expensive
a proposition.  If BL thought this, my answer would be, it's probably quite
a bit of work involving extensive frame, firewall, and bonnet mods -

72 PI, V6 Spitfire (daily driver)
70 GT6+ (when I don't drive the Spit)
70 Spitfire (long term project)