Re: Spitfire Sprint

To: spitfires <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Spitfire Sprint
From: Richard B Gosling <Gosling_Richard_B@perkins.com>
Date: 12 Oct 2000 09:55:22 -0500
According to the adverts of the time, the Sprint engine had 127 bhp, which gave
 the saloon car a top speed of 116 mph - our smaller, lighter, more aerodynamic
 Spits should get more, depending on gearing.

The engine was always designed to be at a slant, which explains Tim's
 observations that the engine seemed to be at an angle.  The 16 valve head
 achieved the extra valves by still using a single overhead camshaft.  The
 camshaft acted directly onto the inlet valves, and the same cams operated the
 exhaust valves via rockers across the cylinder head.  Since it is an OHC
 design, that explains why the engine is quite tall, which would make it a
 tricky fit under the Spit bonnet, although a GT6 bonnet might help.  Then
 again, with the engine at a slant, the bulge may be in the wrong place!

As far as I can tell, Triumph first produced the engine, in 1850cc 8-valve
 form, to supply to Saab.  The same engine was used in the Dolomite when that
 was first introduced (as well as the Spit 1500 engine, in a cheaper model).
 The 16V head was developed to go with the increased capacity to 1998cc
 capacity for the Dolomite Sprint.  The larger capacity, but with the 8V head,
 was used for the TR7.  Why on earth Triumph used the 8V head and not the 16V
 is something I still cannot comprehend, but that is the case for most BL
 management decisions of the mid- to late-70's!

Until I get Daffy's brakes sorted, I think I shall concentrate on making her
 stop, before I consider ways to make her go any better!

Richard & Daffy