Re: Blown Head Gasket?

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, td214@cam.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Blown Head Gasket?
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2000 10:11:59 -0400
What was the weather like that day?  Just like jets can produce
those pretty trails, a cars exhaust can cause steam plumes
that never want to stop.  Don't remember the exacts of it,
but I do remember cool weather is when it happens.

You can get a pretty good idea if you've got a cooling
system leak into things by warming the car up (pressurizing
the cooling system) and then releasing the pressure in
the cooling system.  If things change (no more steam,
engine runs different, etc) you've identified you do have
a cooling system leak.

If you do have a cooling system leak, I'd expect a
head gasket as that's the most likely.  While there are
water passages through the intake manifold, having
one spring a leak would be extremely rare.

>>> "T. .R. Dafforn" <td214@cam.ac.uk> 10/13 3:50 AM >>>

Hi All,
I had just finished fitting a free-flow stainless manifold to sophie...
Started her up, lovely noise form the silencer, and no lower manifold
gasket to leak...
Then after warming her up I noticed more steam then normal coming from
the exhaust, even when she was fully warmed?
Pulled the carbs(don't ask why?) (dual HS4) and found water, not much,
but enough to know its not oil or petrol in the back of the front carb?
what does it mean?
Leaking head gasket?
Theres no bubbles in the radiator, and the oil isn't emulsified...
Leaking water jacket on the inlet manifold?
How could water get into the carbs?