Starting Problems

To: "Spitfire-Enthusiast" <spitfire-enthusiast@egroups.com>,
Subject: Starting Problems
From: "Sean & Shannon Twigg" <seanan@crosslink.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Oct 2000 06:59:52 -0400
Listers,
        I've been having some problems with my 80 Spit.  The was a leak at the
exhaust header and it was running very rich.  I retorqued the head (I just
replaced the gasket last month) and reattached and realigned the intake and
exhaust manifolds.  Now the car is impossible to start.  I've tested for
spark at the plugs and its there. I have a new coil (internally ballasted,
if that matters), my points distributor has a new condenser and points (with
the correct gap), new wires, new plugs,  and a new rotor cap.  The only
thing that catches me as sounding/being funny is the starter motor which
sounds a bit like gravel when I move the car in gear to set the timing.  Is
this the possible culprit?  Is that sound the kiss of death for the starter?
Should I look elsewhere.  Everything was fine prior to the leak at the
header.  Thanks, in advance,  for any hints or tips.

Slanté,
Sean Twigg
'80 Spitfire
Lusby, MD