RE: [triumph_herald] an Old weird Herald gets a new home.

To: "'triumph_herald@egroups.com'" <triumph_herald@egroups.com>,
Subject: RE: [triumph_herald] an Old weird Herald gets a new home.
From: Davies William-qswi646 <William.M.Davies@motorola.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2000 09:32:41 +0100

Hi Reg,
        I don't think you'll regret it!

> It is missing a few bits - tail light lenses, windscreen wipers (motor
> works but the PO lost the actual wiper parts)  most of the interior is
> ratty,  some of the trim is missing... I'll be needing a right door
> glass and a new top if it is to be used in the rain.  The
> steering wheel
> is trashed (pity- it was a nice one with the wood rim and
> Triumph shield
> on the horn button)  Is there any hope of saving the wood or
> replacing/repairing it?  I'd actually like to use it in my
> spit and put
> the spit one in the herald.

I had a Les Leston woodrim wheel which had delaminated quite badly. I saved
this by filling the splits with woodglue, then pulling the split sections
together with cable ties until everything was well set after about a week.
There was some sanding needed to restore the smooth surface, but the wheel
was then useable. As I was not happy with the water staining which showed in
the wood, I painted the wheel with a 2-part woodgrain paint I bought from a
local diy store. Theis was a basic brown paint which was followed when dry
by a darker "graining" paint. A few coats of varnish and the wheel looked
very impressive. The effect was very convincing, and in the time I had it on
the car, no-one ever commented negatively,
        Cheers,
                Bill.

                            This Message sent by:
    ^================^
   /                  \     William Davies
  /                    \    Total Triumph Enthusiast
/  \  ______  ______  /  \  1959 Herald 948 Coupe Y128
\__/  \     ||     /  \__/  1959 Herald 948 Coupe
=====U==============U=====  1960 Herald 948 Saloon 100% Original
 | |                  | |   1961 Herald 1200 Coupe
 |_|                  |_|   1964 Herald 1200 Saloon
                            1959 Standard Atlas Pickup
Join The Herald Mailing List at:
http://www.egroups.com/group/triumph_herald