RE: rear end noise and GT6 bonnet wanted

To: "'Marcus Schaper'" <schaper@rz.uni-potsdam.de>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: rear end noise and GT6 bonnet wanted
From: "Norby, Mark A" <NorbyMA@LOUISVILLE.STORTEK.COM>
Date: Tue, 17 Oct 2000 14:06:05 -0600
Marcus:

I replaced my axle U-joints this year, and the job is not complicated, but
those axle flange bolts were very stubborn!  Also, the spring eye bolts can
be difficult to remove - mine were much worse when I replaced the rear
spring earlier.

The noises that I cured by replacing the axle U-joints were from the rear,
and definitely loudest when letting off the gas or coasting.  The noises
went away during acceleration load.  Also, the left one was much worse and
much noisier.  The noise should get worse when turning toward the side with
the problem.  If you drive slowly in top gear and do some significant
S-turns, you should hear a definite change in sound.  There was also no
whining associated with this problem, and no noise during acceleration.

Usually, pinion bearings whine during acceleration when they start to go
bad.....

-Mark

'77 1500 "Elsie" (LC)