Re: Steering rack

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Steering rack
From: Gary Tash <tashg@bmi.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2000 19:01:38 -0700
I believe that if you look closely at the rack you will see the slightly worn
spot that causes this.  I have been told this is a common failing or R&P
steering since the pinion rides in that location most of the time.  The problem
on mine was bad enough to require a significant increase in the amount of
effort to move the wheels off straight ahead.  This leads to an oversteer when
it comes off (or more accurately, out) of the center, a most annoying
situation.

When I reassembled the R&P unit I tried to do put the warn teeth slightly off
center to see if that helps.  Don't know if I suceeded or if it will help as
the engine and gbx aren't reinstalled yet.  (and I really don't have much
experience repairing steering racks. Like you, I didn't find the Bentley manual
much help.)
--Gary