A run of bad (1500) luck

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: A run of bad (1500) luck
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Oct 2000 19:02:09 -0700 (PDT)
I'm looking for a serviceable Spitfire 1300 or 1500
short block. Cheap would be good (my son's budget is
limited)

His 1980 1500 lost all it's oil when the %$#@? oil
pressure switch failed and pi**ed out all the oil. Of
course, the oil light came on just *after* the last of
the oil wept out, so the crank journals are boogered.
BTW, it's the same oil pressure switch design that
Ford uses, I've had several of them fail the same way
over the years. It's worse than useless, probably
caused more engine failures than it's prevented. A
brass plug is safer.

So, we swapped in my spare 1500 block (that I was
going to use for the turbo project). All seemed well
until he decided to take it on a trip. The long metal
tube that runs from the water pump to the back of the
block for the heater developed a hole, leaked out all
the coolant whilst cruising at 70 MPH. Water temp
guage was little use. Steam out the tailpipe, water in
the cylinders, etc.

Since the car is his daily driver, he's beached.

I had an engine lined up a few months ago from a
fellow Lister (Bob) in Tampa, but was unable to
consumate the deal.

Anyone close to the Central Florida area with a motor
for sale?

Reply off line if you wish.

Thanks

Carter Shore