Re: Carpet/Interior

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, <metaz76@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Carpet/Interior
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 06:49:07 -0500
I have not done this, but in talking to a carpet guy at a big car show, he
explained to me that the manufacturers use the same type of carpet and heat
mold it, and that I could do the same.  He said when he does it for customs, he
uses a heat gun and sand bags to form the shapes.  I think he said he could do
a whole car in a few hours, and that it would take me a weekend.  Figures, I
forgot to go back and buy the carpet when I left the show!  Since I have a heat
gun, and a roll of carpet from him cost something like $10, I figure I'll try
it this summer.

Nothing was discussed about the edges,but on carpets like that, the edges don't
unravel usually.  It's the fabric backed ones that spend all the time
unraveling themselves and snagging.  If you look at stock automotive carpet,
it's always unbound on the edges.  Running a soldering iron over the cut seams
would seal them I'd expect, if one was worried.

>>> Phillip <metaz76@earthlink.net> 02/07 9:25 AM >>>

Has anyone made a carpet set for their Spitfire?  I was at the home
improvement store the other day and found some really nice marine grade
black carpet with a rubber type backing on it, supposed to stand up UV
really well.  So I measured up some of the old carpet that I had left and
compared it to the measurements of the car and I think that it would only
cost about $39 for the carpet.  The problem is that I am not sure what to
do with the contours of the car and the transmission tunnel cover.  Any
suggestions would be great since this would be a huge money saver!  My
father-in-law also had found some seat covers from JC Whitney that will fit
the Spitfire, so they claim.  And then I need to find a place that sells
vinyl  for the interior.  As you can tell I am trying to save as much money
on the restoration as I can by custom making everything.  I have also been
thinking about redoing the door panels out of wood to match the dash like
another list member did.  Thanks for any help!

Phillip
76' Spitfire 1500
85' Subaru GL
Phillip Edwards