Legitimacy of title

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Legitimacy of title
From: "Scott A. Roberts" <herald1200@home.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 23:41:30 -0500
I just wanted to ask how legal this e-bay offering is- Someone is offering a
body plate and title to a Mk IV Spitfire on e-bay. My thoughts are:

First, Is this legal? Any stolen Spitfire could be easily retagged with this,
and the theft legitimized. This is a VIN plate by current description, and
that it has a current title with it, although the donor car was destroyed some
time back, I am sure the title was supposed to be turned in.

Second, after looking at the plate, and title, this plate has been tampered
with- a second "2" was added to the end of the serial number- it is easily
noticed because the stamp is deeper, the font of the number is very slightly
different, and the spacing does not match. It is also a hair larger, and you
can see it was hand stamped on wood from the slight impression.

You may ask how I know this-. I have done enough stamp work in the past on
projects to pick up these differences. Also, the pic is HUGE!

Comments?
the e-bay listing is
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/aw-cgi/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=564863779&r
=0&t=0