Triumphs in the national news

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Triumphs in the national news
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2001 09:16:18 +0000
UK Listers will have heard of Jeremy Clarkson, best known for presenting
car magazine show "Top Gear".  Clarkson also writes a weekly column in "The
Sun", a well known (and I believe the best selling) newspaper in the UK.

In today's column, he explains why he usually writes only about new cars,
but then goes on to say that, today, he's going to "stick my neck out and
explain that there has never been a better time to buy a classic."

He goes on to explain that lots of classic cars were bought in the 80s by
buyers who planned on restoring them and selling them on for a profit - but
by 1992 the price of classics were falling, and many owners could not
afford to sell.  Now, these cars are coming onto the market for less than
the amount spent on restoring them (don't we all know that?).  He gives an
example:  "There are MGBs for around 8,000GBP, all of which seem to have
been restored for 15,000GBP. There's even a Triumph Herald which had
12,000GBP spent on it - yours now for three grand."

He does go on to warn potential buyers to check that work has been done
properly, though: "The Sun is a great paper but it's not good at holding
the rear end on a TR6, even if it's mixed with chicken wire and smothered
with a nice paint job."

For the full article, see http://www.thesun.co.uk and click on the Jeremy
Clarkson link, towards the bottom of the links down the right-hand-side of
the home page.  This will probably only work today, as it will be replaced
by tomorrow's newspaper tomorrow morning (UK time).

Dean