Koni shocks and cutting down front springs

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Koni shocks and cutting down front springs
From: Jamie Palmer <trfolks@excite.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Mar 2001 13:32:24 -0800 (PST)
Hi, folks--

First off, let me apologize if these questions have been answered on the
list recently as I've been unable to read my digests.  (If so, and someone
wants to reply to me anyway, please do so offline so as not to clog up
everyone else's mailbox!)

I have two questions:

1)  I have gotten hold of a set of front and rear Koni shocks for my 71/76
Spit (hybrid mix of the two...76 body with 71 mechanicals).  How do I decide
what firmness to set them?  I'm looking for fairly aggressive driving and
some "fun" autocrossing, used polyurethane bushings in everything, aluminum
rack mounts, etc.  Everything suspensionwise is new, and I'll have Am.
racing mags with 185/70 tires.  If it matters, I personally am not exactly a
lightweight!

2)  This one's related to #1.  The '71 I took the front springs from seemed
to sit a little high in the front for my liking.  I know the rear ride
height will be fairly low even though I'm going with a new spring (and yes,
I know that will hurt the autocrossing, but I had to get it off the ground a
little).  What would happen if I cut part of a coil off the front springs?
(other than the obviously reduced ride height)  I know it would be more
difficult to locate the front spring due to there not being a complete ring
at one end of the spring anymore, but I think I can overcome that.  Has
anyone done this?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give!

Jamie Palmer
Raleigh, NC
'76/'71 Spit
'72 TR-6