Re: The Ultimate Deathrace Car? (fwd)

To: "Dr. Faustus" <dr_faustus@pcisys.net>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Ultimate Deathrace Car? (fwd)
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 8 Mar 2001 05:40:20 -0800 (PST)
If so,
be sure to bring hot dogs and marshmallows to roast!

Seriously, though, it looks as if three conventional
large turbochargers have been set up with external
combustors (check out the large diameter tubes running
forward from the 'turbojets'). The thrust from the
turbine exhaust, while significant (190 lbs), is not
overwhelming. On a 1900 lb car, this would give 0.1 G
accel.
The text also mentions 85 MPH. Assume for a moment
that this is top speed, then the HP required is force
x velocity,

85 MPH = 125 ft/sec

125 x 190 = 23,750 ft-lb/sec

550 ft-lb/sec = 1 HP,

so that means around 43 HP

But it's still faster than any jetcar I ever built.

Carter Shore

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=566827966

> Not sure I'd want to be behind it as it pulled away
> from the light, but
> I love the seller's description: "Unsafe at any
speed".
http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/