gearbox oil

Subject: gearbox oil
From: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 09:39:40 +0000 (GMT)
I was browsing through my moss catalogue today and noticed that they
advised not using EP90 in gearboxes with overdrive.  Apparently even
though Triumph recommend EP90, Laycock de Normanville(the OD makers)
recommend using a non-hypoid oil(what does hypoid mean?) They recommend
using castrol ST90 or Penrite gearoil 40 for warm climates or castrol
CR130 or penrite gearoil 30 for colder climates.  Every other place that
I have checked lists EP90 for use in gearboxes(rimmers, kippings,
halfords, haynes manual).

Has anyone heard of this advice before?  What problems could occur from
using EP90 with the OD?

cheers
John