Re: Something nice about the Spit!

To: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>,
Subject: Re: Something nice about the Spit!
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2001 20:35:48 -0700
> Here is some data about the manufacturer's official useful load capacity of
> several sports cars.  The numbers for modern cars are from a recent "Consumer
> Reports", and the number for the Spit is from my 1972 Owner's Handbook.
>
> 1999 Mazda Miata:             340 lb.
> 2000 Honda S2000:             400 lb.
> 1009 Chevy Corvette:          400 lb.

Wow! A 1009 Vette! That must be a real collectors item! ;-)

> 1998 BMW Z3:                  485 lb.
>
> 1972 Spitfire:                        522 lb.!!!
>
> BTW, the load capacity of the Miata is even less
> than the Honda Insight hybrid car, which even
> Consumer Reports criticized for its minimal load capacity.
>
> Two average-sized adult males and their clothing, wallets, etc.
> would theoretically overload a Miata...

And they call Spitfires "Hairdressers cars"!

I saw the new Toyota MR2 convertible at the L.A. autoshow (have since seen a
couple of them on the road)-no trunk (engine), and no space under the
bonnet-spare tire and a water bottle, battery-there's a big plastic peice that
covers everything-I couldn't get it off to see if there was actually space
under it to put a hand bag! Behind the seats, are two small, locking
compartments-but you couldn't put groceries in them. Several people were
interested until they realized that there is no place to put anything!

Laura G. and "Nigel"