Re: Something nice about the Spit!

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Something nice about the Spit!
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 08:44:31 +0000
In article <20010314044046.88597.qmail@web12208.mail.yahoo.com>, Terry
Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com> writes

>I'm not sure if triumph was
>calculating having the spare removed (you can always
>mount it on the luggage rack) and using the insides of
>the wheel wells as storage too.

The TSSC sells wheel-well storage devices for Spitfires - black vinyl-
covered hardboard shapes with vinyl pockets.   They make the boot look
very smart, but are capable of holding little more than the owner's
manual!

As there is no legal requirement to carry a spare wheel, or tools, or
other spare parts, I suspect Triumph would have counted the area taken
up by the spare wheel as storage space.

>The spitfire also has one of the smallest turning
>radius of any four wheeled production street vehicle
>made, under 25 ft.
>The MGB's is 32 ft, Miata's is 30.2 ft. The Z3's is 32
>ft. and the MR2's is 34 ft turning circle. I think the
>midget might have a smaller turn, but I'm too tired to
>scrounge for the information (yawn).

I've seen it stated that the 24' turning circle of a Spit is the
smallest of any production car ever.

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
to be published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001: