Strange Gearbox Leak

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Strange Gearbox Leak
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <dougnad@bellatlantic.net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:06:45 -0500
Hello,

I had my transmission tunnel cover off to replace my speedo cable,
and I decided to track down oil leak I've had since I put
the tranny in the car.

I realized that it is leaking from the very highest point on
the transmission:  the holes on the top cover extension
where the gear lever shaft actually enters the transmission.
The oil gets out onto this shaft, then drips onto the top cover
and reverse switch, and finally runs all over the transmission
body and drips off the very bottom onto my garage floor.

My parts catalog shows a couple of o-rings on this shaft.
Are these meant to be seals?  Are they supposed to fit
into grooves inside the holes on the top cover extension?
I don't see externally visible o-rings inside my top cover
extension.

Has anyone ever tried to fix a leak like this?

Thanks,

Doug Braun
'72 Spit