More about the turning radius

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: More about the turning radius
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:06:36 -0800 (PST)
That's a pretty astute observation, Eric, about FWD
vehicles and their limited turn ability. There is a
spitfire/gt6 article on special car (classics.com)

http://www.specialcar.com/TCC/1996/04/trispigt6/index.html

that has a blurb an an illustration on page 8 about
why the front end of a spitfire and gt6 (and herald)
have such a wide range of motion. The engineering
behind seems almost almost brilliant in it's
simplicity. And at the same time makes me wonder why
our trunnions hold out for so long without
replacement. After having the front end dismantled,
I'm surprised I (or any spit/gt6/herald owner) can go
over a pot hole without destroying a single piece of
the assembly each time.

The A-arms feel like they're made out of spring metal.
You'd think that they'd atleast be tubular.

-Terry
'76 spit 1500 (nice temps but rain forcasts for the
next 7 days. Blah!)
http://www.geocities.com/firespiter/

http://auctions.yahoo.com/