Preping the frame and etc.

To: "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Preping the frame and etc.
From: David Templeton <davidt@opentext.com>
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 09:29:47 -0500
Hi all,

Hmm lots of questions...

Now that I have the '3s frame clear of all pieces what is typical for
preping the frame for blasting and recoating?  Can I leave bolts and nuts in
place or will it be required to remove "everything" that can be?

How do I get the brass bushings out of the front assemblies? I suspect a
press is needed?  Do I need to separate the trunnion from the spindle? How
do I tell they are okay and not in need of replacing?

In taking the front hub apart it appears the front bearings are in great
shape, the grease looks new and didn't smell at all, no scoring and
everything is nice and smooth. Is there anything else to check for to ensure
the bearings do not need replacing? (one less thing to buy :-) )

I want to powdercoat the front end pieces how do I protect the openings for
the bushings or do I get them coated as well?  Can I get the bolts soda'ed
as well? How do I go about getting the nuts and bolts coated or do I not
want to do that?  Simply paint with rust paint after cleaning?

I know it's a lot of questions but this will help me not to make mistakes in
getting this done right the first time :-)

Thanks
David Templeton
1959 TR3a (now COMPLETELY apart :-P )