Re: re: gearbox fluids

To: John Hobson <goalie_john@yahoo.co.uk>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: re: gearbox fluids
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 9:10:05 -0700
> See below a post I sent to the list a couple of weeks ago about gearbox
> oil with an overdrive gearbox, do you have an OD?:

No. Not yet.

> I was browsing through my moss catalogue today and noticed that they
> advised not using EP90 in gearboxes with overdrive.  Apparently even
> though Triumph recommend EP90, Laycock de Normanville(the OD makers)

Isn't "Laycock de Normanville" a wonderful name? (I always thought so...)

> recommend using a non-hypoid oil(what does hypoid mean?)

Don't know.

 They recommend
> using castrol ST90 or Penrite gearoil 40 for warm climates or castrol
> CR130 or penrite gearoil 30 for colder climates.  Every other place that
> I have checked lists EP90 for use in gearboxes(rimmers, kippings,
> halfords, haynes manual).

I checked around and found that in my area at least, it's nearly impossible to
get the straight EP90. So, I went to my favourite 'real' auto parts store-HUB
Auto Supply on Harbor in Costa Mesa (no financial interest) and asked there. At
least they knew what I was asking for-and filled me in on the availability. I
checked with the British car mechanic next to the place (Chris-he did my
u-joints) and asked the guys at HUB what my mechanic orders-and they all said
the same thing-can't get EP90, and use the 85/90. So, I did.

It was really frustrating trying to find the EP90-I went to so many different
places-some of these guys behind the counters are real idiots! Thank goodness
for the HUB! The only place between here and Goleta where I can walk up to the
parts counter and get a valve cover gasket without an explanation (or an
argument like I had in Kragen trying to get an oil filter!)

Thanks for the info, John-I'll keep it for future reference.

Laura G.