Re: Brake Pedal Play

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Brake Pedal Play
From: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 21:37:17 -0800
If the amount of play is excessive, what does this
> indicate?
> Chip Kigar

Some thoughts...
-a long throw in the handbrake handle would indicate the rear brakes could
be tightened up. If not, then so far so good.
-air in the lines
-some play in the brake pedal can derive from an oval opening in the other
end of the brake pedal. (The end that has the rod (and clevis pin) to the
M/Cylinder). This is easily checked visually.
-old brake hoses that are expanding with pressure. If the ones on your car
are original, this may be an ideal time for replacement. Other listers have
commented on how pleased they were with steel braided hoses and how they
firmed up the pedal.
Someone else may want to comment, (I've been wrong before, but don't tell my
wife), but I understand that the M/Cylinder is probably OK if pumping the
pedal makes no difference to the "feel" of the brake pedal.
Cheers and good luck
Nick Moseley
78 Spit, (aka Hermes, wouldn't start last weekend after its winter rest,
current diagnosis is a combination of pique and ignition circuit fault. Will
be more fully researched next weekend)
76 Spit (Nicks' "Learn to panel beat and weld" project...progress is being
made, A-post patch panel almost right)
78 Spit (waiting patiently for chassis to be blasted, and then installed,
after which time rust in wheel arches will be repaired)
Delta B.C.