Brake Play Part II

To: "spitfires" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Brake Play Part II
From: "Chip Kigar" <ckigar@sound.net>
Date: Sun, 25 Mar 2001 12:04:10 -0600
First, thanks to Joe Curry, Michael Porter and Terry Thompsom for your
replies.  To answer a question, it's an '80 spit.  I replaced the rear brake
hoses with new rubber ones (I live about 10 minutes drive from V. Brits..
sometimes a great convenience, sometimes not the best choice.. they don't
stock SS lines).  The existing rear hoses were visibly bad with a split in
one of the outer casings.   I also put in new rear wheel cylinders.  I
installed speed bleeders which certainly make bleeding more convenient.

There just seems to be 2-3" of movement before I encounter any resistance
(and braking)in the brake pedal.
It just feels as if the pedal is getting about 1/2 way to the floor before
anything happens.

I'm going to order the SS lines set from Spitbits this week in hopes that
that will firm things up.

I now feel somewhat 'pound foolish' for not doing BOTH the front's and rears
with new lines, even rubber ones.
After all, if the rears are shot, how good could the fronts be...

Is there any reason other than expansion in the vintage hoses for my
apparently excessive travel?  Pumping doesn't seem to make a difference.

Chip Kigar

Visit my DYI circle cutting jig (and Spitfire Dash) page at:
http://www.sound.net/~ckigar/circle.htm