Re: SU transplant

To: "Chris DeStaffany" <destaff@yahoo.com>, <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: SU transplant
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 08:22:51 -0500
To start with...4 turns down?
you should be starting with both jets about 12 flats down.
You could also simply measure the jet below the bridge
at 0.060" for the initial setup.

Check that both needles are properly set with the
little shoulder on the needle, perfectly level with the bottom
of the damper piston.

Make sure your interconnect linkage is not limiting you
from properly setting the idle stops and that the high idle
stops on the choke levers are not holding the idle throttle
position from sitting on its proper idle stop screw.

If this still fails, you could have a piston sticking.
Try cleaning the shaft of the piston that slides in the
dashpot as well as the dashpot 'tube' in which it slides.
It doesn't take much to stop it from lifting properly.

A simple test to see if both are pulling equal amounts of air
is to use a short length on gas hose as a stethoscope
and listen to the sound of the air rushing into the carbs.
It's relatively easy to notice even a slight air speed difference
in sound.

Good luck and let us know what you find. I just did this myself,
and still retained the carbon canister breathing system and
associated plumbing that the old ZS setup was using.
pics at
http://www.teglerizer.com/triumphstuff/75w_carbswap.htm

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com