Re: Rear Spring Height

To: Mannett_Roger@emc.com, Spitfires Maillist <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Rear Spring Height
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Mar 2001 09:43:31 -0500
Roger, there is one thing you should check before popping for a new spring. Ride
height in the rear is directly affected by the toe-in of the rear wheels and
bushings.

Just like the front wheels, the rears also have toe-in (unloaded 1/32" - 3/32" -
unloaded 0" - 1/16"). The toe-in is set using shims on the end of the radius
rods where they attached to the body. Toe-in can also be adversely affected by
worn bushings on the radius arms.

A quick check of toe-in (not really accurate but gives an indication) can be
done by rolling the car backwards. You should find that the rear wheels splay
outward so that the tires are leaning in at the top. You will find that the rear
sits low in this state. Now roll the car forward. The tires should now move into
an upright or maybe even inclined outward at the top. The rear end will now be
riding higher. If you get these results, you have toe-in but you just don't know
how much. If not, you likely have do have a toe-in problem. Check the radius arm
bushings. If they move even slightly, replace them, preferably with poly
bushings.

The camber (lean in/out of the tires) is also affected by the state of the
bushings on the vertical link. There are bushings at the top where the vertical
link joins the spring and at the bottom in the trunnion attaching to the axle.
Worn bushings will cause the wheels to splay outward.

Check these things first as this will be the cheapest fix. If the toe-in is
correct and the bushings are solid, then look at the spring (more money, more
work).

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario