Re: Switched power for fan

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Switched power for fan
From: Terry Thompson <firespiter@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Apr 2001 18:28:48 -0700 (PDT)
I had just the experience Barry refers to on my
spitfire with an aftermarket fan. The thermostat is a
piece of junk made in some backwater country (Where
the hell is the USB?...Oh wait that last letter's an
'A') And I did drain the battery once when it didn't
cut off.

Anyhow, I swapped out the thermostat for a solid state
(Taiwanese?) thermostat because the rusty mechanical
(?) thermostat would require a tap on it with a wrench
or screwdriver to get it react to the temperature
change of being cooled off. Usually someone from the
office walking in around 12:00 saying "terry, your
fan's still running."

Anyhow, a constantly running fan can keep your engine
too cool (and I'd leave the switch on accidentally
while driving on cooler days, I know it and kill the
battery repeatedly whenever I'd stop) And also the
temperature seems to increase when you let the car sit
for a few minutes (pressure cooker affect?). When you
run into the store for five or ten minutes, it's
actually hotter than when you got there. So I like
having a fan that runs for a while after I get out to
drop the radiator temp.

But now it's a b***h to change the temp setting on the
solid state unit because  you need to adjust the temp
with a tiny screw driver on teenie tiny dial.

I got the new one from JC Whitney for like $40-$50.
-Terry

http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/