Re: Swing spring Spit - ANOTHER alternate fix

To: "Kevin Rhodes" <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>,
Subject: Re: Swing spring Spit - ANOTHER alternate fix
From: "Ptegler" <ptegler@gouldfo.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Apr 2001 15:25:59 -0400
I've replaced swing springs with newly purchased
springs only to find it sat the same way.
Installation is sensitive to trunnion position of the axles
and wear in the bushes.

Another simpler/cheaper fix for a sagging spring....
under the end of each leaf is a small 'hard rubber'
button that acts a 'squeak' deterrent and a small amount
of shock absorbency. These little buttons flatten out/wear out
rather quickly due to sliding frictions of the leafs as they flex.
(bow lengthens as it flattens out)

Stick a wedge in and replace these 'buttons,
you'd be surprised how much higher your rear end will sit
just by replacing these buttons.

If the original rubber ones aren't avail, do what I did and
replace them with slightly retooled nylon buttons made from
small furniture feet designed to stop from marring your floors.

This raised my overall rear ride height by nearly 1.5"
the buttons are about the diameter of an American penny
and about 3/8'-1/2" thick.

The ends of the leafs are indented to house the buttons.
Make yours as desired. They just have to be thinner than they
are big in diameter so they'll stay in place.

Paul Tegler     ptegler@gouldfo.com    www.teglerizer.com