Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] Re: New Spitfire engine performance

To: spitfire-enthusiast@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [spitfire-enthusiast] Re: New Spitfire engine performance
From: Bradley D Richardson <bradrichardson@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:48:38 -0700
I for one am IMPRESSED.

Brad

=====================

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001 11:43:37 -0700 "Jeff McNeal" <jmcneal@ohms.com>
writes:
Paul Tegler is not to blame for my earlier rant and I owe him an apology.
I'd also like to explain why I was upset and the misunderstanding that
prompted my ire.

Those of us who provide a great deal of content for the benefit of other
enthusiasts on our sites put in more time than most who don't maintain
websites can imagine.  So when you make a considerable investment in time
and effort, only to see the content from your site duplicated and
trumpeted
elsewhere a week later, it can be a very demoralizing and frustrating
experience.

When Calum asked if I could post his outstanding engine building content
my site the last week in March, I happily obliged and put a lot of time
in
formatting his text, and was still in the process of improving that
content
for display on my site as this IS a work in progress to which I have
devoted
a fair amount of time.  I hadn't announced the availability of this
document
on the lists, because Calum is still working on the final version and I
didn't want to be precipitous.  The members and visitors of the Totally
Triumph Garage were well aware of the article on my site, however.

Unbeknowst to me (and this is where the misunderstanding took root),
Calum
had also contacted two other sites a few days later asking for feedback
and
requesting distribution, not realizing that this would be a website faux
pas, in that there is no reason to duplicate the same information across
multiple websites thus requiring various webmasters to devote the time
necessary to host information that is already available.  I think we can
all
agree that there is no legitimate reason for two or more websites to be
hosting the same content, particularly when it involves some effort and
wastes resources.

I incorrectly assumed that Paul had seen the content on my site,
contacted
Calum, then used the same content to drum up attention for his site,
which
would have been in very poor form and why I became upset.

In subsequent e-mails with Calum when I expressed my disappointment over
this, I've come to realize that unless Paul had known that the content
was
already published on my site, he should be held completely harmless is
for
the misunderstanding -- indeed, he's obviously put time into formatting
Calum's content as well, and Calum now realizes that he should have
merely
requested a link to the original post of the article, rather than asking
other sites to format and host the same info.

Calum is not to blame for this either, as far as I'm concerned, because
this
IS his content after all, and he was just excited to get the word out as
I'm
sure he is rightly proud of his article, which as I said, is still
evolving.
Not being a webmaster himself, Calum wasn't thinking of the problems this
approach could create.

Paul never acknowledged my comments to him -- at least not to me directly
--
and quite frankly, I don't blame him for probably being justly upset over
this misunderstanding as well.  So to Paul and everyone else who was the

Best wishes,

Jeff McNeal
editor & publisher
TheBIGPictureDVD.com
"The Internet's Definitive Source for DVD Ratings & Reviews"

Main: www.TheBIGPictureDVD.com
News: www.TheBIGPictureDVD.com/bignews.shtml
Forums: www.TheBIGPictureDVD.com/forums.shtml
Reviews: www.TheBIGPictureDVD.com/bigsearch.shtml