Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Subject: Re: Electrical Faults - '77 Spitfire 1500
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2001 15:47:30 -0400
Michael,

The fuse holders on the Spitfire are notorious for intermittent connections and
it sounds like your problem could be related to this. It may not be the problem
but you can do some "no cost" work that may eliminate it. It will cost you only
some time, but no money.

The fuse holders tend to spread, or loose their tension over time. That leaves
an "ohmic" (not zero resistance) or intermittent connection. Lights will flicker
or go out, for example. Remove the fuse holder cover and remove one fuse at a
time. Using a pair of pliers, gently squeeze the clips of the holder together
slightly, decreasing the distance between the contacts. Insert the fuse. You may
note that the re-insertion may take a little more effort and the fuse is much
more solid in the holder. Do the same for all the fuses.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario
http://www.vicwhit.com