Re: Seeking Angle Grinder Advice;+ long update

To: "Nick Moseley" <nmoseley@direct.ca>,
Subject: Re: Seeking Angle Grinder Advice;+ long update
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 11:08:11 -0400
I bought a 4.5" Makita grinder that has the larger spindle thread size
(5/8" x 11).  In retrospect, I wish I had a gotten the next
smaller model that has a M10x1.25 spindle and takes 4" wheels.

The reasons are:

1: I was under the impression that it was harder to find accessories
    for the smaller spindle.  This has not been the case.

2: A Spit is so small and tinny that a 4" wheel is plenty big enough,
    and will fit in some places that a 4.5" wheel won't.

3: You can put a flat cut-off wheel in the smaller grinder, but
    the bigger one needs a depressed-center wheel, which
    thicker and harder to find.  (This is true for Makita tools, at least.)

4: Makita throws in a carrying case with the smaller grinder.

I hope this is helpful

Doug