RE: MK3 Brake problem

To: Spit <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: MK3 Brake problem
From: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 10:26:52 -0500
One other brake related question - how can you tell if you have DOT 5 fluid
in the car?  Reason for asking is that DOT 5 (Silicone) is not something you
normally find in Minnesota, however the car came from California and the lbc
crowd seems to have an affinity for the stuff.  The fluid in the MC is
clear, no brown tinge at all which leads me to believe that it might be
silicone - DOT 3 usually looks darker I believe.  When I was bleeding the
front brakes, I was getting fluid that looked light brown.

So the questions:
1) How can you tell what type of fluid is in the car
2) What happens when someone has mixed DOT 3 and DOT 5?

I've only owned the car for a month or so, so I have little information
about what was done to it before I got it.

Thanks

Chuck Pedretti
Senior Consultant
Magenic Technologies