Re: MK3 Brake problem

To: chuckp@magenic.com
Subject: Re: MK3 Brake problem
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 21:15:10 -0400 (EDT)
Hi Chuck.

The "distribution block with the sliding piston" will not diminish
pressure to the brakes unless it is full of corrosion.  In which case,
you would be well recommended to flush the entire system.  If you
don't have pedal pressure, I would lean to l rebuilding the M/C.

The piston in the PDWA (pressure differential warning actuator) keeps
the front and rear circuits hydraulically separated and will shift if
one of them loses pressure causing pressure differential.  The shifted
piston illuminates the brake warning lamp on the instrument panel.

Donald.

> From: Chuck Pedretti <chuckp@magenic.com>
> Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 22:09:48 -0500
>

> Spent Saturday trying to get some pedal pressure in my wife's 70 spitfire.
> I replaced a leaky rear wheel cylinder and all the brake pads.  We spent
> about an hour bleeding the brakes, with little success.  There is still very
> little pedal pressure, and it didn't seem to move much fluid while bleeding.
> There are no leaks anywhere, which leads me to believe that the master
> cylinder needs a rebuild, but before I do that I want to make sure that
> there is no other possible problem.  Is there anything that could happen
> with that strange distribution block with the sliding piston?
>
> Thanks
>

> Chuck Pedretti

///