Top advice (was Re: Spitfire engine performance upgrade

To: Dseeley1@rochester.rr.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Top advice (was Re: Spitfire engine performance upgrade
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:45:11 +0100
Dale,

I just bought a soft top from Prestige Auto Trim
http://www.prestigeautotrim.com

They offer a range of materials - several different vinyls, moving up to a
range of canvas, and finishing with mohair.  Most of their materials are
available in a range of colours, with the most colours being available in
the more expensive vinyls.

I went for the most expensive of their vinyls - Cabriolet Vinyl.  I was
tempted to go for a canvas one, but unfortunately they don't do canvas in
tan, which I wanted.  The list price is 127.61GBP, but by the time you add
tax and shipping to that it's closer to 200GBP - but well worth it IMHO.
The quality of the material is very good, and it's certainly more water
proof than the old one with the seams falling apart!  The fit is also
excellent - but I did pay someone who knows what he's doing to fit it for
me!  He charged me for 2.5hrs labour, which also included a few other - I'm
not claiming that you could do it in that time if you haven't done it
before.

I also have a tonneau cover from Pretige, also in Cabriolet Vinyl for the
same reason.  Some of the listers who've been around for a while and
actually read my posts(!) may remember that I had some problems with this,
which turned out to be due to my car being the wrong shape (none of my club
members' tonneaus would fit my car either - there was nothing wrong with
the one Prestige sent me).  I phoned Prestige and described the problems,
returned the cover they'd sent me, and a few weeks later received a new
cover which had been modified according to my description of where it
didn't fit - based on this, I'd have to describe their customer service as
excellent, too.

Delivery times can be quite long, because they make to order.  Don't know
if this applies to all tops, or only to the less common materials/colours.

NFI

Dean

In article <3ACFB579.F790305C@rochester.rr.com>, Dale Seeley
<Dseeley1@rochester.rr.com> writes

>On more relevant Spitfire content, the white '78 (#FM0029U) has finally
>made it's way into my garage.  Once I've finally chosen/purchased a new
>top for it (advice welcome!),

///