Nuts+bolts

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Nuts+bolts
From: Dean.Dashwood@enron.com
Date: Mon, 9 Apr 2001 16:55:40 +0100
Thanks to everyone who replied to my query about buying nuts and bolts and
things.  I'm not even going to start to try to list everyone, because there
were too many (and because I accidentally deleted some e-mails!)

Based on the advice, I looking in my Yellow Pages for "Nuts and Bolts" -
and found a very helpfule "See Bolts and Nuts".

So I turned to "Bolts and Nuts", and would you believe it, there were
around a dozen suppliers listed!  Many of these were a fair way away, but
one was in the same town I live in, and another was in an area I know well
because it is half way between my house and my parents.  I visited both
these places, and a couple of others which were within reasonable driving
distance, but found that they are all shut on Sundays.  I probably should
have thought of that, but since Sunday was also the first day for over
month that the weather's been good enough to put the top down, I think that
finding some bolts was actually less important than just driving......
Anyway, I'll try again next weekend (hopefully they won't all be shut for
Easter!)

I'm hoping to find those "speed nuts", "panel nuts", or possibly something
else that I need to secure my side (parking) lights and indicators properly
to my car - thanks also to everyone who helped out on that one.  At least I
know what I'm looking for now, even if I don't know what they're called!

A couple of people pointed out that several of the catalogues contain specs
for most of the common hardware, but someone else said that although they
specify the size, they don't specify the grade.  I hope that I'll be able
to find somewhere local where the staff are knowledgeable enough that if I
tell them what a part is for, they'll be able to recommend the appropriate
grade of material?

Anyway, hopefully this is another step towards making my car easier to
maintain, by being able to get hardware for it without having to feel
guilty for mail-ordering two bolts.  I also hope that other listers have
found this useful - but not so useful that the big suppliers go out of
business because we all start buying hardware locally!

Thanks again guys!

Dean