Re: Speedos OD 1000 - 1184 - 1248 - Stag

To: Patrick <pbaize@swbell.net>
Subject: Re: Speedos OD 1000 - 1184 - 1248 - Stag
From: Joe Curry <spitlist@gte.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:44:53 -0700
Patrick,
I don't know what you did when you added your OD unit, but the Spitfires with
and without OD use the same speedometer.  This is because the speed is
measured on the output in both cases.  So unless you also changed differential
gearing, or the the diameter of your rear wheels, I can't see how you
could have changed your speedometer reading.

But looking at a number of speedometers I have lying around, I think your
assumption is correct.  The early Spits with 4.11 rear gears had a 1248.  A
1500 with a 3.89 diff has a 1184.  I'm not sure what the 1000 came from but I
would suspect based on calculations I have done with the other numbers
that it is a 3.27 from  GT6.  Finally, I have a speedo that came from a GT6 and
it is numbered 980.  That is so close to the aforementioned 1000 that
I suspect it was for a 3.27 diff with slightly larger diameter rear tires,
making the final gearing very slightly higher than the 1000.

Regards,
Joe

Patrick wrote:

> OK all
>     I'm still stuck on this Speedometer thing with the Stag and OD.
>
>     As y'all know my speedo reads 72 when it should be 60
>
>     Spitfires had 3 speedo types.  the numbers in the front were 1000 , 1184
> and 1248(jaeger mk1)
>
>     When I added an overdrive to my spitfire, the speedo was off, I changed it
> from a 1000 type to a 1184 type, (or vice versa can't remember)  It made it
> correct.
>
> So I took 72 x 1000 / 1184 and got 60.8 MPH
>
> I believe  (and correct me if I am wrong)  that the numbers 1000 and 1184  and
> 1248 mean the number of revs for 60 MPH  or maybe 100 KMH
>
> So all of you with Stags and original OD's   does your speedo on the bottom of
> the dial face read 1184?

///