GT6 Rotflex Rear Wishbone assembly question?

To: <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: GT6 Rotflex Rear Wishbone assembly question?
From: "Mike Ross" <MIKEROSS@Prodigy.net>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 13:01:36 -0400
I would appreciate some comment from those of you who have replaced
rear wishbone bushings and water seals on a Rotoflex GT6.

My problem is that It's been so long since I disassembled it, I can't
remember if there were washers between the inner two water seals and
the verticle link.  When I assembled it by looking at the parts
manual, Haynes manual, and Vicky Brit diagrams, I saw no indication of
washers here.  However, the wishbone is very loosely fitted to the
verticle link and the inner and outer waterseals come open.
Also, the fit between the wishbone and the frame bracket is also
loose.

I took two thin fender washers and enlarged the holes to fit the bolt,
and they fit perfectly with a tight but easily moveable assembly.  Two
fender washers on either side of the bushings at the attachment to the
frame also tighten up the fit with no binding.  The only problem is
that with everything tight, the rear shock doesn't line up with the
upper shock mount perfectly.  The upper shock mount is off by about
1/2 inch.  The give in the shock bushings allow it to be bolted up,
but I have to tilt it forward to engage the bracket and insert the
upper mounting bolt. I'm concerned that this "tilting" could bend the
shock strut.  It may be that removing the washers between the wishbone
and the frame would allow just enough movement to allow the upper
shock mounting point to be less stressed.  I can't see how the
attachment to the verticle link could be correct without the washers
though.  Also, if I torque the nut the the bolt going through the
wishbone and verticle link to the setting in the manual, it crushes
the waterseals making them appear ineffective.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

TIA,

Mike Ross   http://pages.prodigy.net/mikeross/
'66 Spitfire
'70 GT6
'68 Spitfire (body for GT6 convertible project)
'69 GT6 (for project)

///