The Easter Repair Marathon

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: The Easter Repair Marathon
From: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2001 18:47:06 +0100
Dear All,

Well, that's it for a while.   Over the past few days, I have spent 34
hours working on Carly, and have completed 35 jobs.   I shudder to think
how much this would have cost me at a garage.   Even assuming that they
would have been twice as quick as I, that is still 17 hours at GBP35 per
hour...

Remove Driver's Seat
Remove Passenger Seat
Remove Hood and Frame
Remove Interior Trim
Remove Tunnel Cover and Knee Pads
Remove Carpets
Fill Unexpected Hole in Rear Deck
Fit Replacement Cigar Lighter
Trace and Repair Wiring Fault in Driver's Courtesy Light (Disconnected
at switch)
Trace and Repair Wiring Fault in Passenger's Courtesy Light
(Disconnected at switch)
Trace and Repair Wiring Fault in Heater Fan (Wire had fallen out)
Trace and Repair Wiring Fault in Hazard Warning Light circuit (Blown
Flasher unit)
Trace Wiring Fault in Seat Belt Warning circuit (No sensor, no wiring -
I think I'll forget about this one)
Trace Wiring Fault in Reversing Lights circuit (Problem at the Switch at
the gearbox, which I can't get at)
Trace Wiring Fault in Boot Light circuit (Switch and connections have
been removed).
Identify Existing Wiring for Map Light (Yes, it is there, tucked
away...)
Trace and Remove Mysterious Third Pair of Speaker Wires (Not connected
to anything at either end)
Clean Terminals on Twin Horns, Fit New Connectors to Wiring
Strip Second-hand Seat and extract frame (Turned out to be broken in the
same place as my original)
Strip Original Driver's Seat and extract frame.
Source Next-Day Welding service over the Easter weekend, drive original
Seat Frame to Flitwick.
Collect Welded Seat Frame from Flitwick.
Reassemble Driver's Seat
Fit New Wheelarch Trim (Both sides)
Cut holes for Speakers in, attach same to, and fit, New Rear Panel
Adjust Bonnet Locating Cones
Fit New Seals to Hardtop (OK, I only did five of them before giving up.
The other six can wait - three are still on Back-Order from Rimmer's
anyway).
Re-fit Carpets, cutting to fit properly as required. (Dreaded Previous
Owner was even less competent than I at carpet fitting)
Re-fit Knee Pads and Tunnel Cover
Re-fit Central Dash, replacing damaged Heater Control Knob with new.
Manufacture 16 Rubber Washers from a sheet of 1.5mm Rubber Insertion
Re-fit Driver's Seat, adding rubber washers inside and out
Re-fit Passenger's Seat, adding rubber washers inside and out
Re-fit Rear-View Mirror (which fell off when I banged my head on it for
the third time)
Refit Hood and Frame

There are still plenty of jobs to do before Carly is "concours" again,
but with the exception of a little bodywork rust and some heavy
mechanical work (both of which I will probably get professionals to deal
with), the rest can be done in shorter bursts of activity.   I still
need to:

Fit Dash Column Screws (The ones Rimmer Bros originally sent had the
chrome peeling off before I opened the bag)
Finish fitting seals to Hard-top
Remove seals and Paint Hard-top yellow (once the summer comes)
Fit Head-lining to Hard-top
Re-fit those bloody seals again
Assemble and Fit Hood-Bag
Assemble and Fit Tonneau
Buy and fit Reversing Light Switch (but only when the gearbox is out for
another reason!)
Buy and fit Driver's Seat Cushions
Buy and fit original Gearknob
Buy and fit original Steering-Wheel
Buy and fit Passenger Courtesy Light Mounting Bracket
Buy and fit Map Light and Mounting Bracket
Buy and fit Boot Light Switch and Lamp Holder Assembly
Buy and fit Seatbelt Storage Catches
Buy and fit Door Cappings
Replace Door Trims

Some of the parts I need are not even available from Rimmer.   Does
anyone have any of the following that they could spare me?

Courtesy Light Mounting Bracket (Rimmer 627318)
Map Light (Not Listed)
Map Light Mounting Bracket (Not Listed)
Steering Wheel for 1977 car (Rimmer RKC2818)
Seat Belt Storage Catches x 2 (Rimmer ZKC1550)

ATB
Mike
--
Michael Hargreave Mawson, author of "Eyewitness in the Crimea,"
published by Greenhill Books on 28th March, 2001:

///