Re: Spit gear knobs

To: Kevin Rhodes <krhodes1@maine.rr.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Spit gear knobs
From: Douglas Braun & Nadia Papakonstantinou <doug@dougbraun.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 12:31:46 -0400
For a while I had the wrong style knob on my car (which has 3-rail OD).  The
knob showed reverse as being on the right, when it is actually on the left.
Once I left the car at a garage for a bit of work.  When I came to pick it
up, the mechanic told me he had struggled for quite a while to get it into
reverse!

Doug Braun
'72 Spit

At 11:09 AM 4/17/01 , you wrote:

>There are two (at least) different shift knobs for Spits with O/D, I am
>assuming the difference being single rail vs. three rail. The major vendors
>in the US at least only carry the wrong one for a 77. My car has reverse to
>the right of 3rd gear, but my new (four years ago now - my how time flies!)
>knob has reverse marked elsewhere. I think to the left of second gear, but
>I don't remember for sure.
>
>If anyone has a source for the CORRECT O/D shift knob for a 77 Spitfire, I
>sure would like to hear about it!
>
>Kevin Rhodes
>Portland, Maine
>Freddy the Spit - currently under the knife for a new header.

///