Forwarded message: Frame rot

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Forwarded message: Frame rot
From: List Administration <lists@autox.team.net>
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 18:52:33 -0600 (MDT)
For some reason, this was sent to me rather than spitfires@autox.team.net.

mjb.
----

     Subject: Frame rot
     From: paul.meyer@key3media.com
     Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 16:17:55 -0400

Hi listers -

Finally getting into the hard stuff on my '77 1500.
Motor and trans seem fine, but the Frame is weakened by rust.
up front is fair, protected by oil leaks, but under the trunk and rear
diff.  it's weak enough to break with your fingers.

I was originally hoping that I could avoid pulling off the body, but now I
think that's inevitable.

I have a friend who's willing to help me start swapping metal underneath
but I'm more than a little intimidated by the scope of work.

Are there any listers who might have a less damaged frame available?  Maybe
a desert dweller, or at least one that hasn't seen 25 New England winters.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Regards,

Paul Meyer
'77 Spitfire (Fed, no O/D)