Re: Re: Originality

To: Michael Hargreave Mawson <OC@46thFoot.com>, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Re: Originality
From: Laura.G@141.com (Laura Gharazeddine)
Date: Tue, 17 Apr 2001 17:15:54 -0600
> >Mike,
> >
> >Daffy seems to be pretty much identical spec to yours, just a very little
>later
> > - her comm. number is FH125144.
>
> According to the books, Daffy and Carly should be twins, with a few
> minor exceptions:...

<snip>

> That is actually quite a lot of changes in a short period of time.

Wow! Nothing about who supplies the screws and nuts and bolts on Daffy and who
supplied them on Carly? ;-)

> >  She comes with drivers and passenger side
> > footwell courtesy lights, and has the little holders for them on both sides.
> > And they work!  However, I see what you mean about short cables, since I
>last
> > took the switches out to clean the contacts.
>
> A pain, aren't they?   How much would it have hurt BL to provide an
> extra inch of cable?

I found little, metal holders with bulbs-I just can't figure where they're
supposed to go, exactly! (Can't believe all the screws I had left over after
changing out the glove box-finished it off with industrial strenght velcro when
I couldn't find all *those* holes!)

> >Wipers and wing mirrors should be black.
>
> Oh, dear.   I *like* my silver wing (door) mirrors, and she would look a
> lot more "classic" with silver wipers as well.   One correspondent tells
> me that the black fittings were not universal until a bit later, so I
> might be able to cheat and go silver, despite Thomason's claims that we
> all should have black fittings from FH80000 (i.e. Jan 1976)...

I say, do what makes you happy-as long as it's in the spirit of the original!

I had the original black side mirror-until the little darlings here riped it
off (And I do mean 'ripped it off'-from the way the bracket was bent, that's
what they did!)

Now I have a bullet style side mirror-but sprayed to match the body, so it's
very nice and sleek looking. My friend Bob likes the look so much that this is
how he's going to do a side mirror for his E-Type coupe (his one departure from
correctness-but in L.A.-one *needs* ones side veiw mirrors!)

On door handle-

> Mine are black (but loose and faded).

you can very carefully repaint those the same way as the wipers.

> >Try ringing TRGB about original steering wheels and gear knobs - they break a
> > lot of cars, and have a stock-room full of dismantled components that I
>spend
> > happy hours sifting through!  Chances are they will have an old one they can
> > sell you, and they tend to be very cheap on their second-hand stuff (or
>maybe
> > they just do that to me because I am such a frequent customer!  Or they just
> > feel sorry for me!!!)  Then you will have to pop in on the way, and Daffy
>can
> > meet Carly!

Sounds like a heavenly place. My lawyer and I have a date in the next few
months to go out to his favourite auto salvage-he says that there's always
Spitfires there! I'm hoping to find a good rear bumper over-rider-if for
nothing else, to use while mine is re-chromed. Hopefully, good enough to sell!
And I'll also write down commission numbers to pass on to Joe.

Laura G.

///