Portland to Phoenix in 72 hrs (longish)

To: spitfires@autox.team.net, jweber@daroost.com,
Subject: Portland to Phoenix in 72 hrs (longish)
From: HD883HUGGR@aol.com
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2001 12:44:10 EDT
Hi Gang.  Those of you with good memories and/or too much time on your hands
may recall that, last October, I arranged to buy John Weber's semi-restored
75 Spitfire.
    John's original ad stated "This car will drive to Florida if need be" and
"First $750 takes it".  Since I'm cheap and trusting, it was instantly clear
that his 75 Spit was the car for me...since I decided to drive it from
Portland to Phoenix (less than halfway to Florida, I might add) rather than
have it transported.
    After waiting sever months to avoid that frozen white stuff you
Northerners have to put up with, we finally decided Sunday, April 22 was the
launch date for my adventure.  I also found a buddy even more crazy than I am
who will ride shotgun on the trip.  One problem: AFTER I bought the plane
tickets he informed me that he has to be back by midday on Wednesday, April
25.
    Thus, we will be humping a 1350 mile trip in three days...averaging 20
miles per hour with 2 drivers doesn't sound too bad.  However, it doesn't
allow much time for sightseeing and leaves a very slender margin for error in
case of breakdown.
    While our path is still flexible, we will be on or parallel to I-5 all
the way thru Oregon & northern Calif, then breezing down Hwy 99 thru
Bakersfield, east on Hwy 58 to Needles, and then hop on I-40 to Hwy 93 into
Phoenix unless we decide to go thru Flagstaff and then take I-17 south.
    I have already corresponded with Bill J in the Sacramento area and Peter
F in the Fresno/Madera area who may be able to field an SOS call if the new
Spit breaks down to the point where it needs a doctor and I need a
Greyhound... but I don't have their phone numbers, so could you guys shoot me
an e-mail offline to provide me with one?  Anyone else in my path who
wouldn't mind being a potential lifeline and wants to donate a phone number.
    One other wrinkle: John has rebuilt the engine and it's running great.
However, he mentioned, "the car is fine, but It starves for fuel if you push
it past 60 in 4th, I don't know why.  It runs all day at 50-55.  Fuel bowl is
probably set to low, or perhaps the fuel pump is weak.  On the list of
"round-to-it's."
    He never got round to it.  Should this frighten me... I can run all day
at 50-55 as long as it runs for at least 3 days.  Any suggestions from the
gurus (other than "have your head examined for trying to buy a car sight
unseen and drive it 1,500 miles")?
    I'll take a few snapshots and chronicle the adventure in case the
tabloids want to buy my story.
    By the way, the 75 has been renamed "Rufio," in honor of the young boy
who taught a grown-up Peter Pan how to be a kid again in the movie "Hook".  I
figure Laura and a few others who refuse to grow up should get a kick out of
that...!   :)
    Thanks for reading.  Any phone numbers and/or mechanical advise will be
appreciated.  Happy motoring!
    Scott
    77 Spit "Hobbs"
    75 Spit "Rufio"