Trans rebuild - no reverse

To: <Spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trans rebuild - no reverse
From: rtgetzinger@scif.com
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 9:16:36 PDT
1971 to 1974 trans rebuild.
My 74 trans was leaking out of the rear output shaft seal and between the
output shaft housing and the trans housing. Dripping on the exhaust pipe
produces smoke. My 74's third gear synchro was in poor shape it had to be
gingered up to third and going down to third was a waiting game. Opening up
the trans revealed it had tons of wear on the 1st 2nd and the 3rd 4th
selector arms.  I decided to try my 72 trans. After changing over I found I
had no reverse, someone had driven that 72 spit in Southern Calif with no
reverse, crazy. I cracked open the trans to discover that the pivot bolt for
the reverse actuator arm had sheared off, the arm was just laying in there.
Other than that the inside looked excellent. I pulled the extension shaft off
both trans and pulled the reverse gear out for clearance. I tapped in the
reverse arm pivot bolt on the 74 as the bolt is currently out of stock and it
was need for the 72 trans but found there still was not enough room to get it
out unless I removed all the gears, don't wan't to remove those gears.
The reverse arm pivots on a threaded bolt. Maybe I can remove the bolt by
threading or spinning the bolt off after it has been pushed in all the way.
Other wise I go back to sealing up the 74 with the poor third synchro.
Is there a better solution for removing the reverse bolt?
Are the trans prone to shearing this pivot bolt?
Is there an oil seal at the bell housing side of the trans?
Thanks
Rob
Redding, CA

///