Re: Steering Slop

To: Craig Smith <CraigS@iewc.com>
Subject: Re: Steering Slop
From: Vic Whitmore <vicwhit@home.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2001 15:59:15 -0400
Have someone sit in the car to turn the steering wheel at your command. You
stand at the front of the car with the hood up and watch the steering rack
assembly. Ask the person to turn the wheel to the left, just a little. Then turn
it back to the right. Watch for movement in the rack. If it moves, your bushings
are sloppy or they are not installed right. The bracket has to be set and
tightened with the bushing tight between the bracket and the frame. The holes in
the bracket are slotted on an angle for this purpose.

If the rack does not move, watch for movement in the tie rods. If there seems to
be hesitations in the movement you may have a problem in the rack. The worm gear
on the end of the steering rod may be worn and is sloppy in the rack teeth. It
has been a while since I have had my rack apart so I can't remember more detail.
You can take the big nut off on the rack to see how things looks inside.

Vic Whitmore
76 Spitfire
Thornhill, Ontario

http://www.vicwhit.com