Engine rebuild

To: "Spitlist" <spitfires@autox.team.net>
Subject: Engine rebuild
From: "BillG" <wrgingerich@qwest.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Apr 2001 15:01:58 -0500
Greetings Fellow Listers,

Some of you might remember last September when my '74 Spit (since named Frank)
engine lost oil pressure and started doing it's rock crusher impressions.
I've finally had a chance to get the engine out and stripped down.  It seems
that my problem is twofold.  First is the #3 big end bearing, which has tried
to work it's way out of the bearing cap, as well as started to spin in the
rod.  The second problem is the thrust washer laying in the pan.  It's amazing
how much endplay there is without a thrust washer!  Anyway, the rest of the
bearings look OK, as well as the other components - at least to the naked eye.
I'm planning on taking the various parts to the engine shop next week to be
checked over.  Once I know the results, I'll be able to decide how much needs
to be replaced.

I've read the engine building tutorial that Jeff & Paul have on their
websites, and plan on following many of the suggestions made there .  I'm
looking more for reliability than screaming power.  How far would you folks go
in the rebuild?  Keep in mind that my checkbook isn't bottomless.  "Bang for
the buck" is important.  I want to do this engine once.  I have a quote from
Spitbits on a rebuild kit that includes most everything but the block, crank,
rods, cam and head casting.  Is going whole hog the best solution?  Or, if the
various parts measure out OK would it be all right using them?  I'm assuming
the crank will need some work.  The head will get checked for warp and a valve
job for sure, but beyond that what should I consider?  I also have a small
journal cam and bearings that I want to put in.  Is this a drop in change, or
is there machining that must be done to the block?  I'm also planning on
having the engine balanced.   How do I avoid the thrust washer falling out
again?

I could go on indefinitely, but I'm sure you folks are getting the idea.  I'm
not an expert engine builder, but with help from a good machine shop and the
people on this list, I think I can get it done right.  All suggestions are
gratefully accepted.  TIA.

Bill G

1973 Rip Van Spitfire, sleeping again until I get the twisted tub questions
figured out.
1974 Frank N. Spit - patiently waiting for me to finish his heart surgery.
1971 GT6 - Dorian "Primer" Grey - long term project.

///