Re: Portland to Phoenix in 72 hrs -delayed update

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Portland to Phoenix in 72 hrs -delayed update
From: Peter Ficklin <pficklin@qnis.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 08:28:52 -0700
DATELINE Madera, CA:
  Scott & Roger called Monday (4/23) evening and said they'd be stopping
by Tue. AM.  They successfully solved running problems near Sacramento,
and spent Monday night up there.  Tuesday AM, on schedule, they stopped
by for about 45 minutes to take a break and visit.  No mechanical
problems, everything running sweeet.  The car is in great shape, just
needs some TLC to take care of 25 years of wear and tear.  Engine
compartment looks clean and leak free...  Scott will, however, need a
new rear spring eventually.  With two guys, a full trunk, tools and
items stashed in every nook & cranny, the rear wheel camber may not be
as bad as it seems.  It would be interesting to see what it looks like
under *normal* load conditions  ;^)
  Both Scott & Roger seem to be holding up well under the pressures of
the trip.  It was a pleasure to meet both of them, and Scott is indeed
enthusiastic as he sounds about Spitfires.  I hope to get through AZ one
of these days, and see "all things spitfire" in that area.  I sent them
on their way with local "produce" of Madera, California -- so they left
here about 10:30 AM local time.  By the time some of you read this, they
may well be safely back in AZ, as Roger needed to be back about noon
today (Wed.)
  I will admit, that at 47, I was a little bit jealous of them making
this trip.  It would be indeed be a great adventure to throw all caution
to the wind, and travel on a journey such as this...

  Happy motoring...
  Peter Ficklin
  '63 & '69 Spits
  Fresno/Madera, CA