Re: difference between tr6 and gt6 engines

To: pbowen@intellinetics.com, spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: difference between tr6 and gt6 engines
From: Tburke4@aol.com
Date: Fri, 27 Apr 2001 10:54:18 EDT
In a message dated 4/27/2001 10:26:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
pbowen@intellinetics.com writes:

> What are the differences in TR6 and GT6 engines?  Are they the same?  Wasn't
> there a 2.0 and a 2.5 TR6 engine?  dimensions, weight, horsepower, etc?
>
> Patrick Bowen

Patrick,

If you're thinking of putting a TR6 engine in a Spitfire, I spoke to a guy
who did it. He said that you need parts from a GT6 and a TR6 to make it work.
You need the GT6 engine mounts, for instance. The oil pan has to be modified
to be able to clear the chassis AND the longer stroke of the TR6 and I think
there were issues with the oilpump. Weight and dimensions are similar, of
course, as it is the same engine with a longer stroke. I'm not sure of the
power difference, but, he said it was a lot of fun to drive. You would also
need to upgrade the springs and front suspension/brakes with GT6 parts to
make it handle.

Tom Burke
80 Spit

///