Re: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners LONG

To: spitfires@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Age Related Discounts / Younger Owners LONG
From: FODFARTS@cs.com
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2001 19:15:35 EDT
I wasn't gonna add anything to this thread as I feel I might qualify as the
subject matter. But I must add a little to the opinions floating around. My
introduction to British cars was my own doing. I read Road & Track magazine,
originally for the latest go fast hyper exotic cars. Now I read it for the
page or so written by Peter Egan each month and his reflections on car
ownership and restoration and whatever else he has to say. I love Brit cars,
first because of their appearance, then, when I bought my first, the fun of
driving them. While all my friends wanted sports cars in high school, I
wanted a Lotus Super Seven, still do! But I have to agree with some that most
kids today want the latest greatest car with all the bells and whistles. Then
they seem to want to make them look as stupid as possible and as annoyingly
loud as possible. I don't understand it, but I have no right to tell them
it's wrong, because it's not, it's just not my cup of tea. I know there are
kids out there that love Brit cars, but not a lot. If you come across one,
help them out. I am 26 years old, I grew up around the cars of the 80's, in
the Midwest. Not a great place for budding car nut that is not partial to
muscle cars. Cars of the early 80's were horrible, choked by smog equipment
and, for the main part, boring and maybe even ugly. I guess I am turning into
an "old fart" before my time. But every British car show I attend with either
my 64 Spitfire, or my 72 Austin Mini (both older than me!) I notice the only
people near my age are the teen age kids of the folks showing their cars.
While I felt a little out of place at first, I now truly enjoy talking with
all the car owners. I love to hear the stories about past cars, and past
exploits, but I am now making my own stories in my own Brit car that I can
tell my kids about someday. Not quite the same since the cars are not thought
of the same as when they were new, but I really enjoy all the aspects of
owning these quirky cars. Yes, even fixing them, but on the side of the
highway is not nearly as fun as in my own garage! If the young people of
today are leaning towards the latest Japanese pocket rocket, that's probably
because that is what is available to them. Can you imagine buying a British
car and then trying to drive it everyday and restore it at the same time,,,
on a typical teenager's budget? Our LBC's are not grossly expensive to work
on, but I bet they cast a bit more to run than a Civic SI. And one last point
before I go. It seems to me that a lot of the younger people I meet today
just don't have the same respect for history. I personally think it has to do
with the social environment they are growing up in. Almost everything is
disposable or quickly outdated. Can you imagine a car coming to market and
not having any real makeover for ten years or longer? It will never happen
again. New sells, if it breaks, throw it out and get a new one. How can we
expect young people to treasure the past if we constantly tell them to get
the newest thing?
    I doubt I got my point across, I tend to wander around a bit. Sorry.
                                                            Brad Wolfe