Re: Kill switch

To: Dan Canaan <Flinters@picarefy.com>, Ben Miller
Subject: Re: Kill switch
From: Carter Shore <clshore@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 06:22:09 -0700 (PDT)
 What good does disabling the starter do?
I've had to "bump'n'run" my Spit many times when the starting system was down.
Like a 4 wheeled motorcycle.
A sneaky way is to use a hidden 'kill switch'.
Run a tiny hidden wire into the ignition circuit, Use a normally closed switch
that grounds the points.
Won't matter what kind of jumpers they use, that engine will not fire unless
they figure out that the ignition wire from the distributor must be both cut
and jumpered to power.
  Dan Canaan <Flinters@picarefy.com> wrote: At 05:02 PM 8/28/01 -0700, Ben
Miller wrote:
>Has anyone added a kill switch to their Spit? What is the best way to go
>about it. The local area is safe enough, but you never know where you
>might wind up.

Lots of things you can do to disable a Spitfire. It's also easy to hotwire
our cars since the ignition coil and battery are so close together.
Disabling the starter is the best choice. Given ten minutes and a bit of
wire, I can bypass pretty much all security in Spitfire, but only because
I've had to do that to get the darned thing running! Heh.

So, disabling the starter is the next thing. I'd hook up a double pole
double throw relay that interupts the starter wire to the solenoid.
Normally it would go from the solenoid to the key switch. If you put the
relay in between, you can wire it so that the relay is only energized when
you have a kill switch on and that lets you start the car normally. The
switch can be anywhere. Under the seat is good. Under the passenger seat
is even better.

Why use a DPDT relay? I'd hook the unused or normally closed terminal to
the car's horn. If the person who is trying to hotwire the car from inside
the car under the dash does get the starter wire hooked up to a positive
power supply, the horn will sound each time they try to start the car. If
the kill switch is disabled, then the starter would work.

A good place on early models to put this is in the voltage regulator case
if you have converted to an alternator. It's a stock looking part and not
something you'd suspect.

Of course just taking the distributor rotor out is very good too.
| | 1968 Triumph Spitfire Mk III * Furry Artist |
| Flinthoof |--------------------------------------------------------|
| | MINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINTMINT!! |
| Dan |--------------------------------------------------------|
| Canaan | ConiFur NorthWest 2001 - Furries in Seattle! |
| CONIFUR NW | Flinters@picarefy.com * http://jarmac.picarefy.com |

/// with nothing in it but
///
/// unsubscribe spitfires
///
/// Send list postings to spitfires@autox.team.net
/// Edit your replies! If they include this trailer, they will NOT be sent.
Make international calls for as low as $0.04/minute with Yahoo! Messenger.