RE: CALIPERS

To: "'Robert Van Kirk'" <racerbob@hotmail.com>, td214@cam.ac.uk,
Subject: RE: CALIPERS
From: "Bowen, Patrick" <pbowen@intellinetics.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:17:40 -0400
In my humble opinion general o rings of approximate size from the local auto
store will work fine.  The difference between the originals and these is
that the originals were square in profile, and these are round.  Once you
tighten everything down, these will be square too.  Simply they will work
fine.
I have tested the torque on the bolts and have found the calipers on a spit
are set to 45lbs.  Many other individuals have confirmed this.  I do
remember there was another caliper that had a substantially higher torque
value (like 75lbs) I don't remember exactly and I think that was for a TR6.
But 37 lbs is too low.

I would not be afraid to break the caliper apart, but I see no real value in
doing so.

Patrick Bowen
'79 Spit that is finally getting painted!!!!!!!!!!!!